Fear stops us from doing so many things, whether that's bungee jumping, falling in love or, as it seems for so many people, travelling. Before I came to India, almost everybody would give me that same shocked look when I said I'd be travelling in India, yes on my own! Even after arriving, other backpackers and locals too would ask the same question. I knew before I got here that there'd be scary, nerve-wracking moments, but why would you let the little hiccups ruin incredible opportunities?
My adventure started in the slightly chaotic manner that I expected from India however, at this point, I was still in Heathrow! 2 pat downs and an hour delay later, I was on my way. Normally I wouldn't complain about such a teeny delay, but unfortunately my flight connection was 55 minutes...I landed in Doha and was simply told, "Run!" Half-asleep and bleary eyed, I quickly made my way to the right gate to find it empty and closed.Thankfully, a wonderful little lady came and gave me V.I.P treatment, ushering me through the gate, past the queues inside and straight on to the plane - no security checks necessary!
On the 2nd leg of the journey more confusion ensued with seat swapping, shouting and a film-like announcement asking, "Is there a doctor on the plane?" Evidently there wasn't and the stewardesses were aimlessly running up and down the 2 aisles pulling faces and generally creating a bit of a panic.
After grabbing my bags and being put through stringent ebola related health checks, I buddied up with an Aussie nurse who shared my love of Rumi and was in India on a 2 year contract teaching medicine to Tibetan monks! We drank in the scenery for the hour long journey to Fort Kochi and I was amazed by how much it all resembled the South of Thailand - calm, blue skies dotted with lush palms. My face was starting to hurt from the constant grin painted across it! En route, we passed the 'Hospital for Piles' and 'PeePee Cafe'. Well done India!
Fort Kochi turned out to be a real arty, quaint area and whilst I visited a few of the usual touristy spots: the synagogue, churches and spice factories, I spent most of my time exploring different Biennale exhibitions. The festival celebrates all type of art and is only held every other year, making it pretty special. It was also incredibly diverse and well orchestrated. It also seemed to spill out of the exhibition venues on to the walls of the town and the town even has their own Banksy now.
On my final day in Fort Kochi (for a short while at least), a group of us took the 3p ferry to Vypeen Island and headed for the beach. The ferry was amazing - cars backed on until they were stopped with strategically placed bricks, pedestrians squeezed along the edges of the boat and finally motorbikes took up any last available space, often jamming handlebars in to belly buttons and other such places!
| Gorgeous Graffiti between Fort Kochi and Mattancherry |
After 3 nights in Kochi, it was time to move on. I teamed up with 4 others from the beach and we sneakily hijacked another groups eco-houseboat plans. No engines, no fuss, just gorgeous views, tranquility and India's most delicious food! Unfortunate for them, but probably one of my best decisions to date!
Next stop Thuravoor, A.K.A Paradise. : )
xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment